HUMEWOOD HOTEL IN PORT ELIZABETH
On 1 December 1915 the original Humewood Hotel on the beachfront of P.E. was destroyed by fire and on 30 January 1917 the remains, with skating rink and temporary bar were sold to the Municipality.
The mayor, J.S.Young, officially opened the new Humewood Hotel on 29 July 1927 at a mayoral dinner and dance. He suggested the name “Hotel Elizabeth”, which was adopted. After buying the site of the burned Humewood Hotel, the council offered unsuccessfully, to lease it to a hotel developer. There was an urgent need for accommodation at the time at Humewood Beach so the Council asked the ratepayers’ approval to build a hotel itself and develop the surrounding area at the same time. The winners of the architectural competition held were Baker, Kendall and Morris of Cape Town, but the cost was far beyond the original amount and the ratepayers refused to borrow more.
Eventually the plans were remodeled in 1924 and redesigned by municipal architects in 1925.
The hotel was sold to Amalgamated African Hotels in 1937 for 29,000 pounds.
Text: M Harradine
Photographs: PE Library / Bob Binnell
Port Elizabeth founded the first Amateur Athletics Club in 1880.
|Guests’ Gallery||View Our Brochure||Currency Conversion|
|Visit our guests’ gallery.
View photos, video clips, blogs and more...
|Click here and
£ = R--
€ = R--
$ = R--
R = ZAR = South African Rand
3 October 2012 7:51