The Main Public Library is situated in the Market Square across from the City Hall in P.E. It was commissioned in 1897 and was officially opened in 1902. It was designed by Henry Cheers of England
The building is regarded as an excellent example of Victorian Gothic architecture. Its striking facade was manufactured in England and rebuilt piece by piece on the present site. It is faced with imported terra cotta blocks and has some magnificent stained glass windows.
The majestic Sicilian marble statue of Queen Victoria, at the library entrance, was erected and unveiled in 1903. The children’s’ library was created in 1914.
Throughout the Second World War the library was used as a collection center for books and magazines that were then distributed wherever needed including North Africa.
In 1950 the ground floor offices were converted into shops and plate glass windows were installed, but the façade was restored in 1989.
Text: M Harradine
Photograph: R Hift
The Feather Market Hall was originally built to house ostrich feather auctions.
|Guests’ Gallery||View Our Brochure||Currency Conversion|
|Visit our guests’ gallery.
View photos, video clips, blogs and more...
|Click here and
£ = R--
€ = R--
$ = R--
R = ZAR = South African Rand
3 October 2012 7:51